PDSA is dedicated to raising awareness, progressing research, and creating better outcomes for people living with ITP. This commitment led to the designation of September as National ITP Awareness Month in 2010. Each September, we concentrate our efforts to spotlight the ITP patient experience, increase public awareness of ITP, and ensure patients and caregivers have access to our growing network of resources and support.
The theme for ITP Awareness Month 2023 is Increasing Awareness to Improve Outcomes. As PDSA celebrates its 25th anniversary this year, we continue to be the leading resource for ITP patients around the world, dedicated to keeping the ITP community informed and aware of the latest in ITP research, treatments, and support services available. This year's ITP Awareness Month will highlight advancements in the understanding of ITP and celebrate the strength of our community. All month long, we invite you to join us in honoring the network of patients, caregivers, physicians, and industry partners working together to improve outcomes for those living with ITP.
How to Participate in ITP Awareness Month
- Sport Purple for Platelets Day is Friday, September 29.
- Pump It Up For Platelets! events are being held both virtually and in person this year.
- Global ITP Awareness Week is September 25-29.
- Use our ITP Awareness Month Social Media Toolkit to bring ITP awareness to your social media pages
- Support our patient-centered work by making a donation, becoming a member, or hosting a fundraiser
- Browse the Platelet Store for unique ITP awareness items and enjoy 20% off your purchase throughout September and October.
Join the movement with PDSA’s ITP Awareness Month Social Media Toolkit! This toolkit includes ways to engage with PDSA on social media and offers a selection of downloadable content for you to share on your own social media pages. We hope you’ll join us in our mission to raise awareness and empower ITP patients. For more details on how to use this toolkit, click the button below:
Connect with us!
- Tag PDSA in your social media posts about ITP Awareness Month, or about your ITP journey
- Use our 2023 ITP Awareness Month hashtags to help the ITP community connect via social media: #ImprovingOutcomesForITP #ITPawareness #PDSA
Below you will find a selection of PDSA-branded graphics that provide important information about ITP and highlight the patient experience. We encourage you to download these and share them to your own pages – and don’t forget to tag PDSA!
Stuck on a caption? Answer one of our prompts!
Select to View|Download Images
“Behind the Mystery of Chronic ITP”
Lifetime Channel honors ITP Awareness Month
PDSA and members of the ITP community were called on to help raise awareness for ITP on Behind the Mystery, a recurring series on Lifetime’s The Balancing Act which is devoted to rare and genetic disease advocacy. The program dedicated to ITP features PDSA President and CEO Caroline Kruse, ITP patient and PDSA member Brenda Shy, PDSA Medical Advisor Terry Gernsheimer, MD, and Glenna Shen, Head of Patient Advocacy and Public Policy at Sobi, hosted by Montel Williams and Olga Villaverde.
The program was aired on September 6 and 13 in recognition of ITP Awareness Month!
ITP Awareness Beyond September
PDSA’s efforts to raise awareness and support the ITP community don’t end when September is over! PDSA offers innovative and patient-centered programming, as well as a comprehensive selection of resources for patients, caregivers, health care professionals, and researchers.
- Clinical Information: Our user-friendly website covers a broad range of topics, including understanding your diagnosis, navigating treatment options, ITP in adults, pediatric ITP, pregnancy and ITP, and managing ITP symptoms to improve overall quality of life.
- Support Resources: Find opportunities to connect with the ITP community, share your experience, and know you are not alone.
- Education Resources: Check out our collection of free educational booklets and fact sheets and watch our ITP Insights webinar series connecting ITP patients, caregivers, and their families with clinical experts.
- Health Care Professional Resources: Detailed resources on ITP care to keep physicians and hematologists up to date on the latest ITP news, disease guidelines, and treatment developments.
PLUS, with a current PDSA Membership, you will have access to select recorded content from ITP Conference 2023 starting September 1.
Become a PDSA Member and join an engaged, active community of patients, caregivers, family members, friends, and health care professionals who share the common goal of advancing ITP patient-centered education, advocacy, and research. PDSA Members are vital partners in our mission to empower ITP patients and receive exclusive benefits including our quarterly publication, The Platelet News, and a reduced rate for the annual ITP Conference.