Have your OB and hema talked? Its important that they work together. I planned on a vag birth and went into labor on my own. He just didnt want to come out. My birth went like this. I went into labor on my own 5cm at my weekly check up. So I was sent to the hospital where I was started on IV steriods, IVIG and platelets. I got 2.5 units of platelets. My labor slowed, contractions were even registering on the monitor so my water was buldging so they broke it, hoping to restart contractions. It did and I had all back labor, so they checked my counts I was at 92. So they finally agreed to give me the epidural. Took 3 tires but I got it--and felt tons better. At this point it had been 12 hrs and I was only at 6 cm. So they waited another few hrs and gave me the option of a c section since I wasnt progressing. I was offered to wait until the morning but it had already been 12 hrs since they broke my water and my OB didnt feel like I would progress any further and since my counts were high I agreed to the c section. I only spent 3 days in the hospital and was also givin IVIG the next day while in the maternity floor.
So you can get your epidural just let your OB and hema know the plan. We had all this worked out prior to me getting to the hospital and dont be upset if everything doesnt go as planned. I was upset I got a c section, but everything turned out great.
Oh I did try to breast feed but ended up giving up after 5 weeks. I pumped and dumped becasue I was still on steriods. You can breast feed while on steriods but it does pass through the breast milk. Just talk with your drs about what you want to do. and good luck.
Mother of 2 boys
Last Rituxan 12/09/09--3rd time around with not much sucess
Winrho-09/25/09 Didnt work.
Latest counts 8 4/2013-just started Promatca